Tried this dish for dinner last night for the first time. Healthy, Nutritious and easy to make. Try it!
Recipe courtesy ‘Cooking In Style’ cookbook.
1 ½ cup rice, washed and soaked
½ cup moong dal, washed and soaked
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 stick cinnamon
4-8 pepper corns
8 green chillies (i used 3)
3 onions, finely chopped
A pinch of haldi
Salt to taste
For the vegetables
¼kg boiled green peas
4-5 small brinjals, chopped
3 potatoes, boiled and cut into cubes
300 gms curd, beaten
1 tsp methi seeds
3-4 red chillies (i used 2)
Coriander leaves, chopped
2½ cm piece ginger, ground
1 small piece coconut, ground
6 flakes garlic, ground
2 tbsp coconut, grated
1 tsp jeera
Salt to taste
- Heat a little oil and fry mustard seeds.
- Add cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, pepper corns, green chillies and onions.
- Add haldi, and fry onions till they change colour. Add salt.
- Add rice and dal and add enough water to cook rice and dal till done.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add little oil and fry methi and jeera, add ground masala, red chillies and haldi. Add salt.
- Add brinjal, cover and cook on slow fire till brinjals are done. Do not add any water.
- Mix in green peas and potatoes.
- Grease a flat bottom vessel. first put a layer of khichdi and ½ of vegetables and ½ of curds. Repeat layers, keeping the layer of khichdi on top.
- Steam it for 15-20 mins. Serve decorated with coconut and coriander.