Shepherd’s Pie or Cottage Pie, is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. There has been a tendency for cottage pie to be made from minced beef, and shepherd’s pie to be made from minced lamb. Although its not always the case.
I read quite a few easy recipes for Shepherd’s Pie and there are so many versions (different veggies, different sauces etc) of it on the net. I compiled some good recipes that i liked and created my own basic recipe for a simple Shepherd’s Pie. Turned out really good, considering it was my first attempt at this Pie. Try it out, you will like it!
½ kg minced beef or lamb
1 carrot, chopped
¼ cup corn
¼ cup green peas
1 big onion, sliced
Salt, pepper and other seasonings of choice
2 tbsp olive oil
½ cup grated cheese
½ to ¾ cup beef broth/stock
For mashed potatoes
3 big potatoes
¼ to ½ cup milk
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat oil in a large frying pan.
3. Saute onions on medium heat, until tender. If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.
4. Add mince along with garlic and ginger and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add other seasonings of your choice. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
5. Mash potatoes in a bowl adding a splash of milk, salt and pepper. Whip it up using a whisk.
6. Place beef and vegetables in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle cheese on top (usually Shepherd’s Pie does not have cheese but i added since i add cheese in everything! you can always skip the cheese).
7. Cook in 180 degree pre-heated oven until bubbling and brown (about 20-30 minutes).